JAMstack_conf is dedicated to providing a harassment-free conference experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion (or lack thereof), or technology choices. We do not tolerate harassment of conference participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any conference venue, including talks, workshops, parties, Twitter and other online media. Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference organisers.
Sponsors should not use sexualized images, activities, or other material. Booth staff (including volunteers) should not use sexualized clothing/uniforms/costumes, or otherwise create a sexualized environment.
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Verbal or written offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion
- Sexual images in public spaces
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Harassing photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behaviour
We will not act on complaints regarding:
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia’ (because these things don’t exist)
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Refusal to explain or debate social justice concepts
- Communicating in a ‘tone’ you don’t find congenial
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
Diversity and self-expression are important in our world - both at JAMStack_conf and beyond.
Therefore, we encourage all attendees at the conference to use the bathroom they feel most comfortable in, regardless of gender expression. Should you feel inclined to question someone's bathroom choice, please don't - we feel sure they know quite well where they belong.
If you witness someone being made to feel unwelcome, or someone makes you feel unwelcome while using the facilities, please reach out to a conference staff member so we can assist you.
If you experience or witness unacceptable behavior—or have any other concerns—please report it by contacting an event organizer:
All reports will be handled with discretion - we will not disclose your name or any other identifying information without prior consent. In your report please include:
- Your contact information
- Names (real, nicknames, or pseudonyms) of any individuals involved, if they are known to you.
- If there are additional witnesses, please include them as well.
- Your account of what occurred, and if you believe the incident is ongoing.
- Any additional information that may be helpful.
After filing a report, a representative will contact you personally, review the incident, follow up with any additional questions, and make a decision as to how to respond. If the person who is harassing you is part of the response team, they will recuse themselves from handling your incident. If the complaint originates from a member of the response team, it will be handled by a different member of the response team. We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse.
Adherence to and acceptance of this Code of Conduct is a condition of entry. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. This includes all attendees, sponsors, speakers, organizers, volunteers, and venue or vendor staff.
If a participant engages in harassing behaviour, event organizers retain the right to take any actions to keep the event a welcoming environment for all participants. This includes, but is not limited to, warning the offender, expulsion from the conference without the possibility for refund, and a ban on attending future events.
Attribution & Acknowledgements
We would like to thank the following conferences and communities for their inspiration and assistance in drafting our own code of conduct: